Nonfiction: It's not just about subject anymore!
The news in new nonfiction:
1. The memoir backlash/and backlash to the backlash. (The New York Times Book Review; Mortenson and the readers who love him; Laura Miller's denial that Mortenson is a liar liar whose pants are indeed on fire.)
2. Big Idea books: Big Business
3. Graphic novels aren't just for novels anymore.
4. More ties than ever, particularly between nonfiction and literary fiction: multicultural issues, women's fiction and history nonfiction/historical fiction.
Literary Fiction Trends
1. Genre-blending (slipstream or magic realism, historical "parallel narratives," etc.)
2. The continuing popularity of historical and women's fiction
RA Tips for Nonfiction:
1. Try and determine non-subject interests (length, style, amount of "truth")
2. Know your collection and system
3. Wikipedia EVERYTHING
4. Track current events and books discussed in pop culture/media
5. Write down everything and recycle it (publishers call this "repackaging")
6. Find an RA buddy
7. Watch out for "deal breakers," particularly language and sexuality; these are real stories, after all